Thursday, May 14, 2020

My Splitting Headache

Arhh! The pain comes stabbing through me a lot harder
than any time before. I'm sitting in an upright
position in my bed. It's pitch black my eyes adjust to the light but all
I can see are the outlines of the bigger objects
like my bed, the desk in the corner and the book shelf.
The rain is attacking the roof in armies of drops.
Ahhh, dammit it feels like my head will split open
and then it does, a long crack like a dropped egg covers
the top of my head. I can feel something squirming there then
a finger comes out dragging it’s hand with it and then
an arm comes out then a leg and then a head and body and soon
there is an exact replica of me sitting on the bed in
front of me and then it says hello.

It all happened a few days ago I was walking with
Jack C, he was making fun of me for tripping
over the footpath and then I had a sharp pain in the back
of my skull like someone had shoved a knife there
and then I doubled over and threw up
whatever I had for breakfast on the grass (just
to let you know it was rice bubbles). Jack went and
got help but before he had even got around the corner I
blacked out. It was a weird sensation. I was falling unable to
stop myself and when I hit the ground it was as if I hit the
border between reality and a dream because all of a sudden I
was standing in a pond and were cats were doing
the can can and I knew it was a dream.”well this is weird” and
I open my eyes, I'm in a hospital bed I turn my head
to find an IV drip next to me. The TV is turned off and I can’t
find the remote so I just sit there until the doctor comes.
Two hours later I'm sitting on the couch at home.

Everyone at home kind of skirts around me
for fear that they might get whatever I have (they might as
well build a wall around me and feed me through a tiny hole
like they did with the people that had leprosy).
But every once and awhile I anywhere at any time I'll feel
a crazy headache but I haven't thrown up or
blacked out since that time. 

Back to the present 
The things sits on my bed awaiting me to answer
“hello” it says repeating to make sure I can understand it
“um hi” I say “What are you”
“Im you”
“No you’re not”
“Yes I am” 
“Prove it”
“Well I just climbed out of your head If that
doesn't prove it nothing will”
“Yeah but, ok”
“So if you’re me then why did you climb
out of my head”
“Well it was pretty boring in there, it was like
sitting in a cardboard box” 
“Wait are there any more people like you up there?”
“Nah the other left ages ago when they realized
how boring it was up there”
“Ok so why do you look like me”
“Well I am basically you, well actually I don’t know
what I am. It's not like we have school anyway. I'm going to
go explore the world and find out who I am”.
I look out the window as he walks up the driveway and onto
the road but stops to tie his shoe and is run over by a truck,
that’ll teach him to get out of my head.



1 comment:

  1. Great story, Isaac.
    I like the thought of an army of raindrops on the roof. That is exactly what heavy rain sounds like.
    Interesting concept, that there are lots of different forms of us inside our heads waiting to get out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.