Wednesday, April 29, 2020

My long weekend writing

My shovel digs into the gravelly soil
and almost immediately hits a rock.
Dad puts the crowbar under and tells
me to pull it out again. I shovel some dirt
out of the hole. After twenty minutes the
hole is up to my torso and is getting really hard
to reach down and get the rock that has
been dug up by Dad. A rock half the size of the
hole is at the bottom. I drop the
crowbar down again and again sparks
jump off the surface of the glinting rock.  
\Another good hour later and finally the rock budges,
Dad goes and grabs a strap so we can hoist it up.
Afterward I swear angels started singing Alleluia.
Dad measures the hole to see if it’s deep
enough “I’ve got good news and bad news”
says Dad “which one do you want hear” 
“Good news first please” I say 
“Well the good news is the hole is deep enough”
“What's the bad news”
We have to dig three more”
“What all today!” 
“No today and tomorrow”
“Dammit”


4 hours earlier 

“So after the lockdown we're gonna
build a shelter for the food van”,
Dads explaining to me what we're
gonna do today for the second time today
“we need to dig holes and then after
lockdown go to Mitre 10 Mega and
get materials to build it” “Now for a break”. 

3 comments:

  1. Great piece of writing, Isaac. I can almost feel your pain. It sounds like incredibly hard work. Good luck with the next three holes.
    Kei runga noa atu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ehllo. I like how you amde iy funy. Next time, you could make it a bit shoter. Gooodbye, from zmx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Isaac
    Great writing! Digging holes is hard work, well done on your perseverance! Those big stones can make it really difficult to dig around and loosen to get them out. I remember digging the holes at school for the playground and it was pouring with rain and the holes kept filling up with water! It was not fun! Hopefully you have all the holes dug now before the rain in the weekend??
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.